The new ultrasonic level transmitter/indicator is now available, with a contemporary design, modular display and a new technology that allows more stable readings against interferences caused by the medium.
The LU9X2 is a level transmitter/indicator for measuring level without contact with the product, it has a contemporary design and complements the LU Series ultrasonic level transmitter versions of Tecfluid.
The LU series level transmitters are electronic equipment based on the transmission of ultrasonic waves to measure the distance to a liquid or solid in a vessel.
Working principle of ultrasonic level transmitter/indicator
An emitting circuit sends an electrical signal to a transducer that converts it into an ultrasonic signal that propagates through the medium until it bounces off the surface of a liquid or solid. The echo signal travels back until it reaches the transducer again and it is converted into an electrical signal.
By multiplying the time it takes for the signal to propagate by the speed of sound in the medium, the travelled distance is obtained.
Distance = vsound (t1+t2) / 2
Working principle of
ultrasonic level transmitters/indicators
The calculation of this distance is carried out by means of a micro-processor with a powerful and smart software which selects the correct echo level among all the echos produced by the internal elements of the tanks.
A temperature sensor inserted in the transducer provides the real working temperature to the micro-processor, that makes the proper calculation corrections of the measured distance.
A change in product does not affect the correct performance of the instrument, so it is not necessary to re-adjust the unit for each new product. The non-invasive level transmitter makes installation and maintenance easier.
Main features of LU9X2 ultrasonic level transmitter/indicator
- IP66/67 blind aluminium enclosure, with aluminium cover without display.
- High mechanical resistance.
- IP66/67, aluminium enclosure, with polycarbonate UV resistant cover for models with display.
- High mechanical resistance.
- LCD graphic display module 128×64 dots and keyboard, also installable after the purchase of the version with blind cover.
- It is delivered already calibrated and programmed to indicate a real distance.
- Accessible keyboard to change configuration parameters.
The LU9X2 has two output types programmable by user:
- 4 – 20 mA analog output programmable with power supply in 2-wire system proportional to level.
- 2 configurable optoisolated digital outputs to give information of other alarm outputs.
In this equipment, the signal treatment against interferences caused by the medium between the sensor and the product has been improved to provide a more stable reading.
In addition, a remote indication can be obtained by means of the electronic converter MT03L.
MT03 electronic converter for level instruments
The LU9X2 ultrasonic level transmitter/indicator is available with these connections:
- Thread G2” (BSP and NPT) – LU912 model
- Thread G2 ½” (BSP and NPT) – LU932 model
Programming of LU9X2 ultrasonic level transmitter
All the instrument parameters can be programmed via USB, with the software Winsmeter LU of Tecfluid S.A. that can be downloaded from the “Downloads” section of our website.
Its installation is as simple as to extract the two files contained in “Winsmeter LU.zip”, execute the “Setup.exe” file and follow the indicated steps.
In order to connect the level meter to a computer an USB cable is required. This cable is type A at one end and mini USB type B at the other, and it is readily found on the market.
Mini USB type B connector
Ends of required cable
Programming screen detail
The associated Winsmeter LU software allows programming and adjustment of the instrument in a comfortable and intuitive way.
It allows changing the Units of measurement. Programming parameters that have distance or level units, update their value when those units are changed.
It also has a Datalogger for data acquisition. In this window the evolution of the process of the different variables of the equipment can be registered. Time between samples, as well as the start and end time of the record can be configured, allowing to create a CSV format file which can be viewed directly with a spreadsheet and saved into memory on a computer:
New firmware updates can be downloaded from the Tecfluid website. These updates contain improvements or bug corrections that make the equipment to operate at best conditions.
Technical characteristics of the LU9X2 ultrasonic level transmitter/indicator
Uncertainty: < 0.25% of measuring range
Repeatibility: < 0.25% of measuring range
- Power supply:
12 … 36 VDC
Power consumption: ≤ 22 mA
- Analog output:
4 – 20 mA or 20 – 4 mA. Measuring error signals: 3.6 mA and 22 mA
- Digital alarm outputs:
2, MOSFET transistor type N channel potencial free.
Programmable as a level alarm or as a dead zone/no echo alarm
- Ingress protection:
This ultrasonic level transmitter/indicator is especially indicated for:
- Level control in storage tanks of chemical and petrochemical products, treated water, waste water, rainwater,… And food products
- Level control in storage silos of powder, granular products, …
- Remote level indication in diesel fuel tanks
- Flow measurement in open channels, in combination with the electromagnetic sensor series FLOMAT (signal integration software not supplied)
- Control of paper, cardboard, steel and plastic reels, …
- Level control in intermediate tanks for processes such as pumps start-stop, valve opening-closing
- Level monitoring in swimming pools…